Saturday, August 13, 2011

On Yankees and General Welfare

I am not now, nor have I ever been (for that matter, nor will I EVER be) a Yankees fan.  In fact, what I feel for the Yankees is close to utter contempt.

I hate that they buy the playoffs every year.

I hate that they have their own damn TV channel!

I hate Joe Torre (OK, so he's not the manager anymore...so?!?!?)!

But, I do like what one of their pitchers has done.  Tuscaloosa native and former Alabama player David Robertson, along with his wife Erin, started a foundation after April's devastating tornados to help Alabamians whose lives have been irretrievably devastated.
High Socks for Hope, through The David and Erin Robertson Foundation, is dedicated to assisting those affected by the April 27th tornadoes in Tuscaloosa and throughout the state of Alabama.  The foundation strives to lend support to charities and organizations helping those who suffered loss and were affected by this tragedy.  David has pledged to donate $100 for every strikeout he records throughout the 2011 Season.  With 71 K's in 46.2 IP so far this season, The 2011 All Star is well on his way to contributing over $10,000 on his own.  And he assuredly has a few of his teammates quietly joining in.

So I say, "Good for you, David Robertson!  Finally, a Yankee I can admire. Roll Tide!"  And I encourage you to check out the website yourself and see how you can help.

Which is as it should be...citizens helping citizens.  I don't mean the government should not help, not at all.  I just feel that we the people can do a much better job of helping without all the red tape and bloated bureaucracy.

A reminder...the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America states, and I quote:

"...promote the general Welfare..."


Last I looked, the word "promote" does not mean "give everyone whatever they want."  As defined by Merriam-Webster, the word means " to contribute to the growth or prosperity of."  Thanks to folks like David and Erin Robertson, and many like them all over this great country, the people of Alabama (and, to a lesser extent, Georgia and Tennessee) are well on their way to recovery.

Exactly as it should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment