Thursday, August 18, 2011

Entering Enemy Territory

Panoramic view of Turner Field

So I have now added Atlanta's Turner Field to the stable of ballparks I have visited (joining AT&T Park in San Francisco, Dodger Stadium, Petco Park in San Diego, Oakland Coliseum, Edison Field in Anaheim, Safeco Field in Seattle, Chase Field in Arizona, as well as Candlestick Park, old Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium in New York, and Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego).  I still have a long way to go, but look forward to the journey.

I have been the "visitor" to see my Giants play in 6 different ballparks now, and Turner Field is by far the classiest.  Considering what happened to Bryan Stow in Los Angeles earlier this year, there was a bit of....mmmmm...shall we say, "trepidation" as my sons and I walked through the parking lot headed to the gate all decked out in our Giants gear.  With my boys openly mocking the Braves fans by wearing their NL Champions and WS Champions shirts (I was stylishly decked out in my 2001 Reyn Spooner San Francisco Giants Aloha shirt with a Giants golf cap), I expected some difficulty, both in and out of the stadium.  It was not to be, however, as we were warmly welcomed by Braves fans (and the many....MANY...Giants fans in attendance).

William, 19 and Daniel, 21, mocking Braves fans

The Reyn Spooner, I will add, is now undefeated in 3 ballparks where the Giants are visitors (it was also worn in the 2006 World Baseball Classic at Chase Field when the USA defeated Mexico 2-0, so that sort of makes 4), winning at Turner Field, Petco Park, and the hated Dodger Stadium.  It was also soaked in beer at Dodger Stadium, courtesy of an unruly illegal immigrant drunk Dodger fan who decided to shower me with his frosty malt beverage as the Giants pounded the Dodgers.  But there was zero behavior of this sort at Turner Field, despite the fact that I was able to shout very loudly, "Got Heem" 9 times as Matt Cain destroyed the Braves lineup.

I look forward to visiting Turner Field again Tuesday, October 4th, 2011, as the Giants will be coming into Turner Field up 2 games to none and ready to wrap their Divisional Series with the Braves.

See you in October, Braves fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment